Creating Places: A Citizen Observer's Look at Nashville's Built Environment


Writer's Note: William Williams' interest in the manmade environment dates to 1970, at which point the then-young Williams started a collection of postcards of city skylines. The collection now numbers 1,000-plus cards. Among the writer's specific interests are exterior building design, city district planning, demographics, signage, mixed-use development, mass transit and green/sustainable construction and living. Williams began his Creating Places column with The City Paper in February 2005. The column in its original form was discontinued in September 2008 and reinvented via this blog in November 2008. Creating Places can be found on the home page of the website of The City Paper, at which Williams has worked in various capacities since October 2000.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Creating Places: A few quick hits

It's late Thursday night and — for some odd reason — instead of listening to some soothing music to lull myself to sleep, I am sampling the latest Black Sabbath album, 13, courtesy of Spotify. Slightly invigorated by the plodding and sinister sound, I offer some tidbits:

* Last weekend, I checked the lobby of Elliston 23. Very tasteful. I do wish the Elliston face of the structure did not sport a garage entrance but, overall, that part of the building's exterior is quite attractive. The other three sides, clearly, are lacking. Elliston 23 strikes a commanding presence on the street for which it is named. A strong addition.

* Relatedly, fencing is up for  I & G Elliston's 2110 Elliston project located a few blocks west of Elliston 23.

* And on the fencing theme ... fencing has been installed at the site that will be home to the Metro Police Department Central Precinct project.  

* The more I view it, the more I like Demetria Kalodimos' The Filming Station building (located near the MCC Roundabout). Check some nice photos, courtesy of Bob Parks realtor Justin Holder, here.

* I've been told there is some interesting art work on what is the west side of the Church Street building last home to Performance Studios (across from the NES Building). I plan to soon check, get some photos and post for the readers (modest in numbers though they may be) of this blogsite.

* I've always been a fan of Stanford Place, the handsome condo building located at 4040 Woodlawn Drive and seen below in a photo courtesy of Google Streetview. I seem to recall the building was completed in the late 1990s, but I could easily be wrong. If anybody has details (particularly the architect), please share.


15 comments:

  1. I noticed a new fence and huge TURNER signs surrounding the West End Summit site. It appears they are finishing excavation and starting on foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you didn't care for splotchy-colored brick (The Film Station).
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Generally I don't. But that building "works for me" overall.

      Delete
  3. I like the Filming Station building. It's certainly a unique design and fits in well with the cool vibe in that part of downtown.

    I look forward to seeing the West End Summit towres rise. The new high rise apt. building in the gulch seems to be rapidly rising too. That one looks like it will be quite tall and will have a good impact overall on the skyline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Eric Stengel designed Stanford Place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMous,

      Excellent. Mr. Stengel deserves much praise.

      WW

      Delete
  5. William, check out the trees that are planted on 23rd Av.side of 23 Elliston. They have planted nice young trees, directly under power lines. Also, they have planted a Southern Magnolia right up next to the building. Sadly, these plants have no chance to mature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMous,

      This is not good to hear. I will, indeed, check this.

      WW

      Delete
  6. Developers: Think, consult, and plan properly before you act! It's not "rocket science". Plus, doing so saves money and hassle down the line. Why not give it a try?
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. William, a quick question for you please sir. Do you have any information about the plan to build a high rise apt/condo at the corner of Hillsboro Rd. and Richard Jones Rd in Green Hills? I recall hearing about this a few months ago. Is the project still on? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMous,

      Originally, Southern Land planned to start this year. I've heard nothing otherwise but will check.

      WW

      Delete
  8. I agree re Green Hills high-rise project. What's up?!
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. William -- do you follow the comments and questions on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMous,

      I need to do a better job. I do check for the first two days. But somethings at that point, I assume nobody else will post a comment. I should not assume that. This post spurred nice reader response.

      Thanks for staying on me about this.

      WW

      Delete